Sunday, 27 September 2009

Forgetting but not Forgiving

Oh dear. Yet again I've let a whole month go past without doing a blog post. I know I shouldn't feel guilty about it because then I'm making it something I feel I have to do. And It shouldn't be like that. I want it to be something I enjoy doing. And it's not like I've even had an excuse not to have done it. I'm still enjoying the tail-end of my ridiculously long 5 month holiday from university. I've got so settled into not having any commitments that I'm almost dreading going back to uni and having to read material that is compulsory and writing essays. But, I guess my holiday can't go on forever.

Anyway, enough about that. What have I been doing usefully. I've recently been reading a most excellent book called The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb. It is the second book in the Tawny Man Trilogy and even though all the books are pretty fat, I'm seeming to plough through them effortlessly. And although the plot isn't immediately compelling - you know, the instant exciting action that usually pulls you into a book - I've come to grow fond of its style and familiarity and now, it's as compelling as ever. If you appreciate the amazing techniques and structure of the English language and how just words and a skilled writer can create such vivid scenes and shape characters so deftly, then you will definitely appreciate this series. It is a fantasy but until now, I didn't realise how much you can still get the author to relate to the situations and see the ompletely human traits in the characters. Written in the first person makes this even more so.

Anyway, enough of me talking about that. Pick up one of Robin Hobb's books and I am sure you won't be disappointed. Just keep reading and once you're in, you're in for good!

In other news, I've joined my university's Creative Writing Society. I don't know how long that will last but I do intend to go to the sessions and get my creative juices flowing. (For some reason, I've never liked that phrase: 'creative juices flowing') It sounds pretty fun and I like any excuse which forces me to get writing. Because I do really enjoy it but when I'm not doing it, I can't seem to make myself to do it. Days float past and I've written nothing. At least when I'm reading fiction, I at least feel like I am buildling up my vocabulary or something.

Well anyway, I'll end there.


Floating past without much thought,
Thought much without past, floating;
Memories hover too, like remnants,
Remants like to hover, memories.

Yet vivid they are not, but faint;
Faint but not, are they vivid? Yet
Through all this time up to now,
Now, to up-time this, all through.

Forget and forgive, must I?
I must forgive to forget.

No comments: