Friday, 21 August 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

Cover of "THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE"Cover of THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE

Hello again! Not much to update you on really. Only that I wanted to do a post on The Time Traveler's Wife! I know you've done (a rather lengthy) one too, Eric, but I did think of it before, so I'm not copying or anything! hehe. ;)

So anyway, I came across the book a few years back, from a friend who recommended it to me. It was pretty amazing I have to say. It isn't the easiest read and there are parts where you can get easily confused because not everything ties up until near the end; then it all begins to make sense and the different events match up. It's funny really, because when you're reading it you think "this is actually quite depressing" but then after finishing it I always say "It's a great book - you have to read it". And then I think "yes I should read it again" but then I find it depressing. Strange. Anyway, that should NOT put you off reading it, because it's definitely a great read! Promise!

With regards to the film, I think they did a pretty good job. I did think it was gonna be a feat for them to put it all into a film, since practically all the details and events in the book are necessary. But I think it was really well cast (except I couldn't stop thinking how much fatter the guy who played Gomaz is, since his other film that I've seen him in - Office Space. Anyone else think that?) I really like Rachel McAdams (yes I'm a The Notebook fan) and she's definitely how I imagined Claire. And Henry is likeable too.

Having said it was really well done, it did annoy me that there were some very obvious discrepancies in the filming. Like in one part, her hair was clipped up and then in the next shot, it wasn't; in another part the piece of art she was making kept on changing form. So obvious!

Right it is confession time - maybe I cried a bit at the end of the film in the cinema...ok a lot. But it was pretty emotional, I have to say. And I hardly ever cry in the cinema! lol *ahem* Anyway, I do recommend that you a) read the book and b) watch the film. If possible, read the book first, because then the film has a lot more meaning and you can fill in the gaps yourself. It doesn't spoil one's impressions of the book at all, having seen the film after.Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm waiting on a friend to finish reading it so we can go see it in the theater. I know it won't live up to the book, but I'm still excited to see it on screen. I can't wait! :D

Faltarego said...

You have a sharp eye, there, Rose. I hadn't noticed the continuity errors in the filming (and I'm usually all over stuff like that). I've started reading the book again, now that I've seen the film, and I'm experiencing the wonder of Niffenegger's writing all over again. Truly a wondrous book.