Ah finallly...a new post. It's been too long!
Here is a poem I just wrote today for a teacher from my school who taught me creative writing and other englishy bits in my junior school years. She's now leaving and some of us ex-pupils are contributing to a "writing journal" for her, including bits of poetry and prose that we might like to write to say thanks for all her teaching years.
So I thought, what better opportunity than to flex my poetry muscles...well, here it is!
Dear Mrs Giachardi,
My teacher from year five, gee!
Just heard: you n’ your cardi
Are moving from the Academy!
So it’s time for me to reminisce,
Think back to the portacabins, the books n’ the bliss.
Spywatch (I’m smiling) on Friday afternoons,
You’ll see that I can still even sing the tunes...
(The chad is on the run trying to check it out
Listening in on all the chat, seeing what it’s about.
What no chocolate anywhere! No chops to choose
I found a cherry but I only got a stalk...*ahem*)
I also loved the creative writing lessons,
The ones where we would grab our fountain pens n’
Write a story, a letter or a poem but also
“Beginning, middle, and end!” You’d crow.
My favourite part has got to be story writing,
Where I could invent the characters, the plot and the fighting!
I relished the comments you’d make on my scribbles,
But more enjoyed deciphering your squiggles!
I also remember getting some looks,
When I didn’t want to read House on the Prairie books,
I preferred Secret Seven, Famous Five, I’d read them for hours;
Mary Poppins, St Claire’s and of course Malory Towers.
But still for reading, I’m a great fan,
As well as writing – I'm even part of a clan,
Of writers on a website where we write lots of fiction
And poems together; I’m really quite stricken.
You’ll be pleased to know,
That my spelling is pro,
And the wrong use of ‘your’,
Is something I abhor!
As does there use of ‘they’re’,
Sadly some don’t even care, that
There simply all wrong! Well...their.
I’ve said more than my fair share.
So thank you for providing the solid foundations
(I may even one day be amongst publications!)
For a skill that I love and have furthered my education
With English Language at uni; I’m eager for a vocation!
Good luck with whatever you’re doing after,
I hope it involves lots of smiles and laughter.
You deserve a break from us children, no doubt!
You’ll have all this free time, to do absolutely nowt!
Well, hope you enjoyed that...I certainly had fun writing it! hehe :)
Sunday January 1st, 2023
3 years ago


3 comments:
What a wonderful tribute to your teacher! I too abhor the wrong use of the word "your" and got a chuckle out of that line. Overall, it's a very sweet and funny poem. I'm sure Mrs Giachardi will love it. :)
Thanks Ana!! I hope she will! I had remarkable fun writing it! Her handwriting was very amusing - you could hardly read it! lol
Thanks again for commenting :D x
That was great Rose :)
Post a Comment