Sunday, 12 April 2009

Hey! Very near bedtime but thought I'd just stuff this up quickly. lol...So here's the next instalment from yesterday's story, a retelling of Jesus' arrest:

...Leaving the almost peculiar array of kneeling men under the trees, their heads bowed, I walked over to where Jesus was and stood a little way away from him. He was knelt down himself, facing a gnarled tree, its trunk twisted and intertwined into a cluster of roots. I could still hear the distant murmuring of the disciples, about a stone’s throw away. The hands of Jesus were clasped together tightly, almost as if someone was crushing them together, and pleading murmurs flowed fast from his lips. Moments passed and I began to hear fragments of his broken voice being carried along by the wind.
“Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me.”
He inhaled sharply, but remained still, his head bowed. I frowned in confusion. What could Jesus be talking of? What cup did he mean?

I was startled from my thoughts as his body heaved, suddenly noticing how long he’d been motionless in prayer.
“Nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” There was so much sorrow in his voice and as he moved, I caught a glimpse of his countenance in the harsh, deep red sunlight. It was pure agony to see it and I could feel a hot tear coursing down my cheek, mirroring his complexion.
Then a burst of blinding light suddenly veiled my eyes for a short second. When my vision slowly came to, I could see a magnificent shining figure standing close beside Jesus. A flawless radiant hand gradually reached out, touching Jesus gently on the shoulder. Instantly, Jesus’ whole body began to glow in short bursts until it seemed to illuminate all the trees around in a glorious stream; it could have been broad daylight. He lifted up his head, eyes tightly shut; his face was such a contrast from before: now full of peace yet bearing a flash of resolve.

It suddenly dawned on me that the figure by Jesus’ side was no less than an angel. But what need did he have of an angel? It appeared to have strengthened him and given him the peace that he needed; but to do what exactly? What could be so seriously wrong that even Jesus needed the help of a heavenly being from above? He himself was from above. He had been sent by his Father on high. That’s what he’d been saying all this time. What could he possibly be preparing for now? It didn’t cease to trouble me, gnawing at me whilst I continued to observe this strange scene.

1 comment:

Marc said...

Really, really enjoying this Rose. Can't wait to read more.